Click on a question below to see the answer. You can also use the search window to search for specific terms.

Counselling Professions:

A Clinical Psychologist is a person who has an advanced degree in psychology and who is licensed or registered by the government to practice psychology. Most Psychologists have a PhD degree but some have other degrees such as PsyD or EdD. In Ontario, as in many provinces and states in North America, the title “Psychologist” is a protected term. That means that registered Psychologists are the only ones who can legally call themselves Psychologists. A Clinical Psychologist is a Psychologist who provides health-related psychological services to the public. Dr. Stevens is a Clinical Psychologist. Other types of Psychologists are Experimental, Social, and Industrial-Organizational Psychologists.

Both psychologists and psychiatrists diagnose and treat people who have behavioural or emotional difficulties and both are referred to as “doctor.” However, they have different educational backgrounds and because of this they usually have different ways of thinking about and treating problems.

A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has specialized in diagnosing and treating mental disorders. Because of this a Psychiatrist thinks of mental disorders from a medical perspective and usually prescribes medication as a part of treatment. He or she may also provide psychotherapy.

A Clinical Psychologist has usually had extensive education and supervision in psychological assessment and psychological treatment. A Psychologist will usually be focused on helping clients figure out and resolve or reduce the problems that are causing their symptoms and distress. Psychologists also conduct psychological and neuropsychological assessments and these include many kinds of psychological tests such as IQ tests and personality tests.

The term "psychotherapist" generally means anyone who conducts psychotherapy. In many jurisdictions anyone can call himself or herself a psychotherapist because in most cases the term is not protected or regulated by law.

The Ontario government passed a law in 2007 that was designed to regulate psychotherapy in the province.  On April 1, 2015 the government signed into proclamation or enacted a part of that legislation that created a new college to regulate people in the province who practice psychotherapy but who are not already in a government regulated college that has psychotherapy in its scope of practice. In a confusing twist, the enactment of that particular part of the legislation meant that for the present, only members of the new college can legally use the new protected title "Psychotherapist."  Ontario legislation states that members of certain other regulated professions, such as Psychologists and Physicians, can use the title "Psychotherapist" but that part of the legislation has not yet been proclaimed.

The purpose behind the 2007 psychotherapy legislation is to regulate psychotherapists because lawmakers have recognized that they need to protect the public from unqualified people.

Most Clinical Psychologists are highly qualified to practice psychotherapy but some focus their practice on specific psychological services, such as neuropsychological assessment. Dr. Stevens practices psychotherapy.

Psychoanalysis was one of the first forms of psychotherapy and it was begun by Sigmund Freud over 100 years ago. A psychoanalyst is someone, usually a Psychologist or Psychiatrist, who practices psychoanalysis. The client usually lays on a couch and the psychoanalyst listens and makes interpretations that are aimed at helping the client gain insight into the problem. There may be up to five sessions per week. Other forms of psychotherapy include behaviour therapy, cognitive and cognitive-behavioural therapy, emotion-focused therapy, interpersonal therapy, and psychodynamic therapy.

Dr. Stevens does not practice psychoanalysis but does have training in psychodynamic or insight oriented psychotherapy and incorporates insight approaches as appropriate.

Counselling is advice giving. Psychotherapy is working deeper on problems and may or may not involve advice. Dr. Stevens practices in both counselling and psychotherapy.


Referral Information:

Click here for information about contacting Dr. Stevens. To find other Psychologists, check with your provincial psychological association or the Canadian Register of Health Service Psychologists.

You can call Dr. Stevens directly for an appointment at 647-449-2049. He will conduct a brief telephone screening, discuss fees with you, and let you know about appointment availability.

No. Dr. Stevens can see you for diagnosis and treatment without a referral from your family doctor. However, if you are going to submit your receipts to your extended health insurance, then the insurance company may require you to send them a referral note from your family doctor.

Although Dr. Stevens and many other Psychologists believe they should be, Psychological services are not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). However, if you see a Psychologist in a hospital program in Canada, the service will likely be funded by the hospital. Ask the hospital. If you or your spouse have extended health benefits through your workplace, then this may include funding for psychological services, although the insurance company may require you to get a referral from your Family Physician first. If you need psychological treatment because of a workplace injury, then there may be coverage through your provincial workplace insurance. In Ontario, that is the WSIB. If you believe you need psychological treatment as a result of a motor vehicle accident in Ontario, then your Ontario car insurance may pay for assessment and treatment.

To let your government know that access to a Psychologist is important to you, visit the Mind Your Mental Health website.



No, Dr. Stevens is not able to place practicum students or interns in his private practice. However, he does supervise PhD level Psychology students at Brampton Civic Hospital. Students placed with Dr. Stevens at the hospital must have completed a Masters degree and must be in a CPA or APA accredited doctoral program in Clinical Psychology. For more information, please visit the Students Website.

Your questions are welcomed. To submit a question go to the Contact page.